“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” -Mahatma Gandhi
Here at Esteem Hospice, we are always looking for people to share their time and talent with our patients. We are currently seeking compassionate volunteers for our Ageless Art Program, direct patient care, pet therapy, administrative support, bereavement, bible study, as well as other general events and activities. This is a flexible volunteer opportunity that requires as little as two hours of volunteer service per month. Spending even just a little time our patients can make all the difference because it allows for new experiences to brighten even the darkest of days.
Hospice Trains Volunteers
All volunteers receive training to ensure they feel comfortable with their tasks. Training programs vary in length and generally cover the following areas:
• Philosophy of hospice care
• A comprehensive overview of services offered by the hospice
• Physical, emotional, social and spiritual issues that people can encounter at the end of life
• Individual needs, including emotional support, emergency procedures, universal precautions and procedures to follow after the hospice patient dies
• An overview of chronic and life-limiting illnesses
• Effective communication skills when speaking with the patient and family members
• Information about interpersonal family issues and relationships
• Boundaries for the hospice volunteer and the patient and family
• Basic information about grief and loss
Hospice Volunteers Can Do . . . Just About Anything!
As a hospice volunteer you will be given choices as to how much and what types of things you want to do. Some examples of typical volunteer duties are:
• Listening to a patient’s concerns
• Being a comforting and supportive presence
• Engaging in the patient’s hobbies, for example, playing a board game or discussing current events
• Encouraging the patient to tell their life story
• Providing time for the caregiver to take care of her/his self
Volunteers are never asked to do something they are not comfortable doing.
For more information on specific volunteer opportunities, please contact Rachael Sampson at (972) 239-8131 or fill out the form below. You can also view specific volunteer listings for Esteem Hospice here. Thank you for making a difference in the lives of our patients and their families!